Business transactions are highly confidential, so employees of the organization are advised to use a Virtual Private Network(VPN) to prevent data theft. Many VPN service providers are in the market today; however, only a few are reliable. This is why people with high profiles often join Surfshark VPN here for hassle-free life.
Do you know the basic types of a VPN? If not, let us share some insights with you.
- Remote access VPN
- Personal VPN services
- Mobile VPNs
- Site-to-Site VPNs
Remote access VPN:
This kind of service allows users to connect with a private network through the internet. A company’s office network is an example of a private network. As everyone knows, there is the possibility of tracking information online, so the data that flows from and to a private network is encrypted. This sort of network is also referred to as client-to-server VPNs or client-based VPNs.
Scenarios where Remote Access VPNs are used
- Business people can use a remote access VPN to connect to their organization’s network from Wi-Fi in the restaurant. This is because it allows running the duplicate files and software accessible in the office.
- A corporate employee could use a remote access VPN to work from home by connecting to the company’s network. The allotted system will function the same as if connected to the organization’s network.
Personal VPN services:
This kind of service facilitates an intermediary, a VPN server, between the customer’s device and the desired internet services. The device is also sometimes called a commercial VPN or a consumer VPN because of its feature that facilitates encryption of connection, user’s identity confidentiality, and spoofing of a customer’s geographical location.
A difference between the former and Personal VPN services is that latter does not have a feature to access the private network. Personal VPN services allow public internet access through an encrypted connection.
Scenarios where Personal VPNs are used
- This service will help users hide their identity from targeted Distributed Denial of Service(DDoS) attacks. Few gamers to win implement intense and short DDoS to block the competitors. A personal VPN server can prevent such unfair practices.
- Streaming of TV shows and movies that are unavailable in the residing location. For example, a VPN network in the US can be connected to watch American Netflix.
Users with an unstable connection can choose a Mobile VPN on the same network for an entire period. The VPN connection will persist even if the customer switches between WIFI and cellular networks, turns off their device, loses connectivity.
Scenarios where Mobile VPNs are used
This kind of VPN ensures stable availability for mobile workers or provides the comfort of owning a VPN that withstands connection changes. Examples are
- On-field Police officials could stay connected to software such as automatic vehicle location computer-aided dispatch with the help of a mobile VPN.
- Corporate colleagues suffering from poor connectivity can work til logout with the assistance of a mobile VPN.
Users can connect to an individual network to use its resources through a remote access VPN, whereas a site-to-site VPN facilitates combining two networks on different sites.
If an organization has two office locations, a site-to-site will join those two into a single network; combines west coast and east coast into one. This kind of VPN is also addressed as a network-based VPN.
Technologies such as L3VPN and Dynamic MultiPoint VPN (DMVPN) are helpful for the implementation of site-to-site VPN services.
Scenarios where site-to-site VPNs are used
The site-to-site VPN is further classified into
- Intranet-Based VPN-
A VPN that connects networks of a single company is called the intranet-based VPN. A company can establish a single vast area network with more than one office with this VPN service meaning users can access resources from third-party sites simply as if they were on their site.
- Extranet-Based VPN:
Combining networks of different companies is possible with an extranet-based VPN. For example, an organization can connect to its seller’s network for efficient trading.
With the availability of various VPNs, it is easier to choose one per the user’s needs. However, if you aim to make sure to select a trustworthy provider, you may join Surfshark VPN here or other options as per your requirements.